What is a cookie?
A cookie is a harmless text file that is stored in your browser when you visit almost any web page. The usefulness of the cookie is that the website is able to remember your visit when you return to browse that page. Although many people do not know it, cookies have been used for 20 years, when the first browsers for the World Wide Web appeared.
What is NOT a cookie?
It is not a virus, or a Trojan, or a worm, or spam, or spyware, or open windows pop-up.
What information does a cookie store?
cookies do not usually store sensitive information about you, such as credit cards or bank details, photographs, your ID or personal information, etc. The data they keep are of a technical nature, personal preferences, personalization of contents, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person, but your web browser. In fact, if you regularly browse Internet Explorer and try to navigate through the same website with Firefox or Chrome you will see that the web does not realize that you are the same person because it is really associating the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies are there?
- Cookies techniques: These are the most basic and allow, among other things, to know when a human or an automated application is browsing, when an anonymous user and a registered user navigate, basic tasks for the operation of any dynamic web.
- Cookies of analysis:
- Advertising cookies: Show advertising based on your browsing, country of origin, language, etc.
What are the cookies own and those of third parties?
The own cookies are those generated by the page you are visiting and the third-parties are generated by external services or providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I deactivate cookies?
So that you understand the scope that can have to deactivate the cookies we show you some examples:
- You can not share content from that website on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The website will not be able to adapt the contents to their personal preferences, as often happens in online stores.
- You can not access the personal area of that website, such as My account, or My profile or My orders.
- Online stores: It will be impossible to make purchases online, they must be by phone or visiting the physical store if you have it.
- It will not be possible to customize your geographical preferences as time zone, currency or language.
- The website will not be able to perform web analytics on visitors and traffic on the web, which will make it difficult for the website to be competitive.
- You can not write on the blog, you can not upload photos, post comments, rate or rate content. The website can not know if you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam.
- It will not be possible to show sectoral advertising, which will reduce advertising revenue on the website.
Can cookies be deleted?
Yes. Not only delete, also block, in a general or particular way for a specific domain.
To remove the cookies from a website you must go to the configuration of your browser and there you can search the associated to the domain in question and proceed to its removal.
Configuring cookies for the most popular browsers
Here’s how to access a cookie determined browser Chrome . Note: these steps may vary depending on the browser version:
- Go to Settings or Preferences through the File menu or by clicking the personalization icon that appears on the top right.
- You will see different sections, click the option > Show advanced options .
- Go to Privacy > Content Settings
- Select > All cookies > and site data.
- A list of all cookies sorted by domain will appear. To make it easier for you to find the cookies of a specific domain, enter the address partially or totally in the Search for cookies field.
- After completing this filter, one or more lines with the cookies f the requested web appear on the screen. Now you just have to select it and press the X to proceed to its inaction.
To access the configuration of cookies browser Internet Explorer follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to > Tools > Internet Options > Click on > Privacy >.
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access the cookies configuration of the Firefox browser follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Options > or > Preferences > according to your operating system.
- Click on > Privacy.
- In > History > choose > Use custom settings for the history.
- Now you will see the option Accept cookies, you can activate or deactivate it according to your preferences.
To access the configuration of > cookies > of the browser Safari for OSX follow e These steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to > Preferences >, then > Privacy.
- In this instead you will see the Block cookies option to adjust the type of blocking you want to perform.
To access the cookies configuration of the browser > Safari for iOS follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to > Settings >, then > Safari
- Go to > Privacy and Security >, you will see the option > Block cookies > to adjust the type of blocking you want to perform.
To access the configuration of > cookies > of the browser for Android devices, follow these steps (they may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Execute the browser and press the > Menu > key, then > Settings >.
- Go to > Security and Privacy >, you will see the option Accept cookies > To activate or deactivate the box.
To access the configuration of cookies browser for devices Windows Phone follow these steps (may vary in function of the browser version):
- Open > Internet Explorer >, then > More >, then > Settings
- You can now activate or deactivate the > Allow Cookies > checkbox.